Monday 23 May 2016

Carpal Tunnel?

A few months ago, I started experiencing pain in my hands, wrists, and lower arms while using the computer. I tried taking it easy for a few days, but that didn't help.

I went out to Office Depot and purchased a keyboard, ergonomic mouse, and gel wrist rest, but none of that seemed to do any good. I even figured out how to use the mouse with my foot (LOL), but that didn't seem to work, either.

At that point, I was pretty discouraged. I'm in my early 20s, and I'm already having to deal with this? I thought. That's just not right.

After doing some research, I determined that I needed a new desk. My old one was about 50 years old and had been handed down to us by my in-laws. Not only was it not the correct height, but it did not have enough room underneath for a proper office chair.


So I did more research and ended up purchasing a sit-to-stand desk, which has a hand crank that allows me to adjust the height. It cost $300, but it's built like a tank.



When I'm not standing, I sit on an exercise ball. I take frequent breaks to stretch my arms, wrists, and back and am also very mindful of my posture throughout the day.

I sleep with wrist braces, which I purchased for $16 each at Walmart, so my arms don't curl up. I've also become a pro at voice texting and swipe texting on my iPhone. Oh, and I've been taking 450 mg of turmeric to heal any inflammation.


That sounds quite complicated, doesn't it? It's only been a week since I started the full regimen, but it seems to be helping. Have any of you struggled with carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis? If you have any suggestions to share, I would be very grateful!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that you're trying alternative methods in easing your pain that goes beyond taking medication. I have found that yoga covers a wide array of body maladies and I'm almost sure that you could find something that could help with carpal tunnel. If nothing else, yoga is a great addition to whole body health.

    ReplyDelete