Wednesday 25 May 2016

What's Lurking in Your Baking Powder?


While researching homemade cleaning products, I made a shocking discovery. Did you know that many brands of baking powder use aluminum in their products? That's right, a metal that is believed to be a potential cause of serious health problems could be lurking in your kitchen.

I'm guessing that many of you are familiar with the push to avoid antiperspirants, which contain aluminum. Now I'm not going to lie, that is not easy transition to make. Deodorants that work well and do not contain antiperspirants are few and far between. In fact, I don't blame anyone for refusing to forsake their beloved antiperspirant.

But let's be honest, does anyone have a brand loyalty to baking powder? Personally, I buy whatever is on sale. As long as it does its job, it works for me.

For that reason, when I found out that my Clabber Girl Baking Powder contained aluminum and that Walmart sells Rumford's Aluminum-Free Baking Powder for virtually the same price (both under $2.00), I was more than willing to make the transition.

Am I late to the game on this one? Is it a known fact that many baking powders contain aluminum? (I wouldn't be surprised...) I would also be interested to hear if any of you know of any other easy ways to cut out potentially harmful ingredients in food?

No comments:

Post a Comment